Monday, October 10, 2016

Do we truly have freedom?

Do we really have the same rights as we did over 200 years ago? Do we have the same freedom we did 10 years ago? Do we even have the same of both that we did even a year ago? That's an argument that even my knowledge can't answer. And I'm not sure I'd be able to give a solid answer.

To understand this posting, we'd have to go back to when the Sandy Hook tragedy happened and the aftermath argument that got Americans questioning whether it is safe to own or sell guns. I think it is understandable why that matter raised its head but I still think that we as a society need to know that it's not the guns that cause the problem but the person who handles it. But to read more about my opinion of this matter please read the newest issue of the odyssey online

2 comments:

  1. You are mixing apples and oranges...freedom or rights? I deserve the right to live in peace and harmony which goes to the heart of the gun issue. If it's not the gun that causes the problem, then why would the person feel that the gun gives him power to destroy someone else's life? Guns need to be deciphered. Is it a pistol? Is it a rifle? Is it an assault weapon? The majority of American citizens have the right to own a hunting rifle. No one contests that issue. But, does the person have the right to beg, borrow, o steal a weapon with the intent to use it on another person? That is the issue which infringes on the rights of others who want to live without fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure why people think that guns give them power or position in society because it doesn't. I see guns as a way to protect my family from harm without having to use force. I think guns should only be used for protective purposes and the issue of gun violence should be taken seriously since at least one person a day is killed by a bullet. I am trying to gather more information about gun violence and see what can be done to promote its effect on American society and hasten its end.

    ReplyDelete