Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Naval Sister 2-5-2019


Naval Sister (2-4-2019)



I never thought I would see the day where I would have a sibling in the armed forces. I never thought I would be traveling hours from my home to see my brother transition into the Navy.

It was eye-opening.



I have some family members and close friends who are or who have served in the Armed Forces and it pales in comparison to having your own brother serving especially a baby brother.

It’s a wake up call for me because now my brother isn’t so little anymore; he’s grown up and I’m prouder than I can say.



From when he played midget football as a smurf to now serving at 23 years old as a Naval Sailor I’ve seen him accomplish so much. It’s impeccable the integrity, maturity, and work ethic he has achieved and posed over the years. Along with those qualities he has a good heart with which he shows his care and devotion to his family and friends. This man is my brother and I am proud.




Immersing my brother with pomp and circumstance is more of an honor than anything else because how could you not boast about all the accomplishments and successes he has completed. Seeing him walk into the drill hall and his division being recognized gave me a sense of pride that I never felt before.

All I thought was that’s my brother.



Kyle Brenden Searfoss





It was a bittersweet moment for me because I was happy he had fulfilled a grueling bootcamp and graduating, but I was sad because I wouldn’t get to see him as often as before.

So, my heart ached, and tears were held back.



In feeling those intense emotions, I gained a new respect for military families. I now know their sacrifices, I now understand the pain and nail-biting anticipation, I now understand the joy of seeing your loved one when they’ve been gone for weeks/months., etc. I now feel the burden of what they bear, and it feels like we are soldiers, too.

I am not serving like he does. I am serving as part of his support system of which is a lifetime responsibility and honor.

I have a Naval Brother and I am his Naval Sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment