Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Journalism ceases to be dead!!!!


            When people say journalism is dead, they are bluffing. Journalism isn’t dead and will never be dead. How do I know? Because I am a journalist. I pursue the truth in everything I read and write. If there is faults in what I am given I dig even further through the information to find exactly what I am looking for.  Now here is some bigger questions: What is journalism? How do we define journalism?

            Well, I can answer both of those questions with flying colors. Journalism defines the past, describes the present, and predicts the future. Journalism is an individual’s words that define an era and that capture an audience’s imagination. Journalism is an art form that uses words to tell a story and with the word choice of the author the reader can visualize and understand different angles of a story. The next question is how do we define journalism? Well, before I answer that question let’s throw some words out there. News. Headline. Newspaper. Dateline. Rubbish. An Opinion. If one or all these words match your description of journalism then you would be right but wrong at the same time. Journalism is news because it describes and tells the reader what is happening around them. Journalism is a headline because a headline sums up what the whole story is about and the story is journalism. Journalism is a newspaper because a newspaper is a compilation of stories and these stories are journalism. Journalism is a dateline because it seals a story at a specific place, specific time, and tells about a specific person, place, or thing. Journalism is rubbish and an opinion. Journalism is what you make of it. Now to answer the question how do we define journalism? Like I said before Journalism is what you make of it. Depending on your background and how journalism has been brought into your life, it will shape the how the concept of journalism looks and affects you.  That is how I define journalism. Now does that mean journalism is dead? I say no.

            Journalism tells a story. This story defines a specific time and place. Journalism makes time freeze and allows the reader to learn about that period in time, but from a different point of view. Take my poetry for example, I make time freeze because I’m describing the thoughts and feelings I have at a specific point in time. My poetry will allow the reader to understand what was happening during that period of time and allow them to predict what may happen next. Because of my passion for writing journalism will never die because I am securing a story’s place in history. Without writing and language we cannot define our past, we can’t secure the present’s place in the past, and we can’t give promise to the future to become part of the past. So I stand concretely that journalism will never die. We make our own and with this blog I have made my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment