Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Voices are heard and remembered

            So backing away from politics and entering a more realistic sense of the world and a very impactful one at that. What is happening in our urban schools? What are our children being subjected to? I can answer that. Bullying and a lot of it.
            I just finished watching ‘CyberBully’ from ABC Family and it is one of the most impactful films on my life. It actually relates to my life in more ways than one because the victim was aspiring to be a journalist and she wrote poetry. She was a blonde haired, blue- eyed girl who had a successful and gracious life ahead of her and she nearly lost all of it because of words. Because she had no way out. Because of one person’s arrogant and narcissistic attitude towards her and who wanted to take revenge on her average life. She also had everything a normal girl would want and she felt she couldn’t enjoy her blessings because of other’s opinions and jealousy.
I was in the same boat. I had everything at my feet and I was aspiring to be a writer as well. I wanted to be a blogger and share my past experiences with the world and inspire others so that they could overcome any obstacle they faced in life. But, I wasn’t bullied because of social media or even through social media. I was bullied from a face-to-face value. It seemed as if whatever I did as an individual was not good enough for anybody and that I needed to be somebody else to be accepted by my colleagues. But, changing for others doesn’t do anything but make you look desperate. And now, that I look back on those turbulent times I can see that I had lost my way and that I wasn’t being true to who I was. Though most do not see this bullying can lead individuals down the wrong path and make them visualize a reality that doesn’t exist. It makes the victim blindsided by what is actually in front of them and it can sometimes get so bad that they don’t see who they really are. They see what the bullies and the world want them to see and feel about themselves. It’s sickening. It’s frightening. I’ve been there. But, that’s the main reason for this posting.

I never called attention to the bullying I witnessed because I was there myself and I didn’t think my words would speak volume. But, if the media didn’t care about these issues a movie like this one wouldn’t have been made and we wouldn’t hear stories of such magnitude in newspapers or on internet news sites. I am calling attention to it now that I have some empowerment to share from my experience. Bullies are cowards who use their insecurity to criticize others. Bullies can be anywhere and they can say anything they feel necessary to bring someone down. But the victims are stronger because they have the power to end it. They have the power to speak; they have a voice. And though sometimes voices are not heard, they are remembered by actions.

1 comment:

  1. people who bully do it for power, encasing others to join them gives them more power, and to see the victim helpless and intimidated is power. I know, I was bullied from first grade to eighth grade. I am close to someone who was bullied all his life because he had a speech defect. He stammered, sometimes unable to speak. My dad once told me when I couldn't go to the bus stop because I was chased away, look at them and call them fatty, fatty, two-by-four, can't get through the kitchen door. Well, that didn't work, but somehow I overcame it and never forgot how it feels. It becomes more important to care for others, have faith in the Lord to give me strength, and then, words don't hurt me. Also, to teach your children how not to act with others.

    ReplyDelete